Welcome To DailyEducation

DailyEducation is an open-source platform for educational updates and sharing knowledge with the World of Everyday students.

Steve Phillips, Regent College London, UK

Educator

Steve Philips is chief international officer at Regent College London. He has has worked in the international education industry for over 30 years as a school owner, in private higher education and in the not-for-profit sector, including at Mander Portman Woodward and British Study Centres.

Introduce yourself in 3 words or phrases.

Driven, dedicated and easily distracted!

What do you like most about your job?

No one day is the same, the hours fly, I often wonder how it’s suddenly 6pm, not that 6pm means anything anymore. But mostly I like that we are giving people a chance to change their circumstances, and belief in the end result of education is character.

If you had a magic wand, what would you change?

So many things! I wouldn’t know where to start. They would all be related though to supporting those less fortunate through no fault of their own. It would also be nice if my favourite bottle of wine to be never less than half full.

What are your top priorities?

To continue giving people an opportunity to get ahead, never compromise personal integrity, always enjoy whatever I’m doing and stay positive.

Tell me about a defining moment in your career?

I think leaving Russia in the late 90s to come back to the UK, things would have been a whole lot different if I had stayed.

What keeps you awake at night?

Squirrels on the roof.

Proudest career moment?

Again, so many, I think opening study centres in Algeria, Ukraine, and Kyrgyzstan has to be up there.

Best work trip?

One of the English UK overseas missions when I was chair. We had scoping visits to Iraq and agent events in Hong Kong, Macau, China, Colombia. One of these for sure.

If you could learn any language instantly, which one would it be, and why?

Turkish, I spend most of my holidays there and visit friends in Istanbul. Wonderful country, people, and culture.

What’s the most important skill for someone working in international education to possess?

You have to have people skills, otherwise you are in the wrong industry.

Book recommendation for others in the sector?

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.

The post appeared first on .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock